While bread isn't the healthiest thing to eat, Virago believes in "everything in moderation". Since you're buying it from the store anyway to make lunches for your kids, why not make it at home? The beauty of making your own food is that you know exactly what is in it, which in turn does it make a little bit healthier. Most store bought bread and foods contain preservatives known to cause cancer, and are added to our food to give them a longer shelf life. With this easy no knead bread recipe, you can make it fresh in a little over an hour and a half.
* Teach your kids to make it too! It's so easy and fun. They will love it! It will also teach them about self reliance, and that you can make simple staples in your diet at home without relying on a store. When I first made this bread, I felt so powerful like I could feed a whole village and we would never go hungry again. I stood in my kitchen and quoted the famous line from Gone With the Wind - "As God is my witness, I will never go hungry again!" It was super dramatic, but no one saw me, so it was okay. Enjoy!
- 4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 1/2 - 3 teaspoons of table salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 envelope of Active Dry Yeast
- 1 pinch of sugar
- 2 cups of luke warm water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil + some for greasing the pan
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl
- Add sugar and dry yeast in a small cup, and add a bit of warm water
- Wait 10 minutes to allow the yeast to activate
- Make a well in the middle of the flour
- Stir the activated yeast, and pour into the well in the flour. Wait about 10-15 seconds before mixing
- Stir mixture with a wooden spoon. Add warm water to the mixture as needed. Add it slowly so it doesn't turn into a pancake mix. You want it to be a bit firm and tacky
- Add oil to the mixture, and combine again
- Cover the bowl with a light dish towel.
- Let it rest and rise in the bowl for an hour - 30 minutes in, stir and cover again.
- Preheat your oven to 400F
- Grease your baking pan with olive oil and put the dough in
- Let it rise in the pan covered for 10 min
- Bake for 40 min. or until the crust turns golden brown
- (Optional): I like to brush on a little bit of olive oil on the top half way through to make the crust nice and crispy
As soon as you remove the bread from the oven, flip it over onto a cutting board and let it cool with a towel over it. Slice it for sandwiches or to dip in soup. It's such a tasty bread and it's so easy!