I LOVE baking chicken, because it is so easy. However, I don't always have an hour to wait for dinner to cook in the oven. This recipe is quick, easy, and healthy. Enjoy your lemon crusted chicken with a nice summer salad and naked angel hair pasta.
- 2 (8 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, halved horizontally*, and pounded to 1/2-inch thick
- 2 oz shredded Whole Milk Mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup)
- 2 oz shredded Provolone cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 oz finely shredded Romano cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- Zest of 1 lemon (2 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon slices or wedges for serving (you can just use the one that was zested)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butterfly and pound chicken. Dry chicken off with with a paper towel, and sprinkle each side with salt and pepper. Combine Mozzarella and provolone cheese in a bowl. Whisk the flour and egg together in a separate bowl. In another dish, toss together bread crumbs, Romano cheese, oregano, lemon zest, garlic powder and pepper. Dip each chicken cutlet in the egg and flour mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture. Coat each chicken cutlet completely. Put chicken on a separate plate. Heat oil in a large pan on medium/high heat. When hot put two chicken cutlets in the pan at once. Cook each cutlet for 6 minutes on each side. Transfer lightly fried chicken onto buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle Mozzarella and provolone mixture on each chicken cutlet. Place in oven for 12 minutes. This will allow the cheese to melt and the chicken to cook all the way through. Garnish with a slice of lemon (can be same lemon used to zest) on each cutlet and serve.